Musculoskeletal (MSK) problems such as back pain, arthritis, sprains and strains are the most common problem are one of the commonest causes of absence from work and impact the productivity of businesses, both large and small.
Key actions can be taken by employers to prevent workloss through absence or early retirement by creating healthier, safer and supportive workplaces that can prevent and manage MSK conditions effectively. It goes beyond just addressing the risks of injury, and the legal requirements of providing a safe and healthy workplace. It needs a proactive approach with actions that should be taken for prevention and the promotion of good MSK health, and on supporting those with existing MSK problems.
As an employer, you need to
- Recognise that MSK health is important in your organisation and make a commitment from all tiers within organisation to provide a safe and healthy workplace that prevents MSK risks, promotes health and wellbeing and is inclusive for those with MSK conditions.
- Be proactive approach and encourage and support workers to look after their MSK health both in and outside the workplace
- Ensure everyone knows their role and responsibilities in promoting, protecting and supporting MSK health.
- Create an open culture of health and wellbeing that provides opportunities for employees to speak up and enables a shared understanding of challenges and creation and ownership of solutions.
- Have a MSK health workplace champion.
Actions needed to create a MSK healthy workplace including but going beyond your legal duty as an employer
Key steps to supporting MSK health
In your workplace, know how to: